History

About the timeline

The timeline below covers highlights from the very beginning of the Child Development Laboratory School. From the start, the school has provided a service by helping society meet the needs, relevant to the times, of children and families. The school also takes great pride in its leadership oriented, innovative programs it implements along the way.

 

 

1924

As the beginning of the Child Care and Training Course, the Nursery School opened for the first time with nine children for the morning program.

 

1926

The earliest research in the laboratory school began.

 

1930

Became the Department of Child Development In The Department of Child Development was established which would involve nursery school teaching research, college teaching, supervision of infants in home management houses, and conferences with parents.

 

1940

Edith Sunderlin, known as the Storybook Lady, began her radio broadcasts on WOI Radio. Her radio program for preschool children lasted into the 1950s.

 

1946

The Infant Care and Study began by supervising babies in the Home Management Houses.

 

1950

The Older Children’s Laboratory program was formed.

 

1953

The first Introductory Child Development course was taught on WOI-TV. Multiage preschool groups were also organized in the school.

 

1954

The Nursery School became officially known as the Child Development Laboratories.

 

1959

Becoming a daily program, the Older Children’s Laboratory program was the first known laboratory after-school care program in the nation.

 

1963

Half-day kindergarten courses began in the lab.

 

1967

Barbara Scott was awarded the first Ph.D. degree in Child Development

 

1977

The preschool Handicapped Emphasis teacher endorsement was created.

 

1987

The Extended Day program becomes an integrated preschool program and the Morning Only kindergarten becomes the Full-Day kindergarten program.

 

1989

To better facilitate research data collection as well as program and student evaluation, and instructional purposes two videotaping cameras installed in each classroom.

 

1993

The CDLS was accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs.

 

1995

Full-Day Kindergarten became a demonstration site for the Iowa Department of Education Iowa-Nebraska Primary Program Curriculum while laboratory school faculty served as consultants.

 

1996

HDFS faculty revised teacher licensure programs to merge special education content throughout the courses and field experiences.

 

2000

CDLS moved to Palmer Human Development and Family Studies Building where it currently remains.